October 27, 2012

The Paris Wife!

For October our book club read The Paris Wife by Paula McLain! The novel focuses on Ernest Hemingway's first wife Hadley and their relationship.

When our book club met to pick our next 12 books this book happened to be one that 4 out 5 had put on the recommended list. It also had a lot of hype surrounding it the months before we selected books, got rave reviews...thus why I had suggested we read it!! I was super excited for this book and thrilled with all the feedback I had read...

Source


Well folks the book just wasn't that thrilling. I had imagined a book that kept you wrapped up in the story, one that made it hard to put the book....this was just not.

It is not a horrible book, it is not a great book. I didn't dislike it, nor did I really enjoy it. Going into it with absolutely no knowledge about Hemingway's personal life, I'll be honest I've never even read one of this books, I was excited to learn about someone new.

The book just didn't keep me that interested. It wasn't very detailed, it was hard to picture anything that was going on aside from the sections about the running of the bulls and yes I could've gone without those details. Aside from missing vivid details I also found it lacking in any sort of character building. I never found myself liking any of the characters...and other than Ernest Hemingway, I didn't dislike them either. 

I found I had to constantly remind myself of the era it took place and how women acted back then towards men...it was difficult because the main character, Hadley, was pathetic in my mind. It was sad to me how much she sacrificed for a man who would always be selfish. Yes she loved him and yes I realize it took place back in the 20s but it was hard for me to understand. 

Overall the book was pretty boring, the author wrote in a very monotone voice, or at least that's how I read it, and until the very end I was never engrossed in the book. By the time you get to the end and you are intrigued she drags it out forever and I found myself getting annoyed.

Grade - C. It's average!

Happy Reading! 

0 comments:

 

A Bit Of This, A Dash Of That Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang