October 11, 2012

Red Velvet Bundt Cake!

A recipe I stumbled upon a few weeks ago has been calling my name every single night!! I'm not joking I've been wanting to make this Red Velvet Bundt Cake for 2 weeks and I finally was able to.

Poor Chuckles was under the weather this past weekend and that meant our date night got cancelled for Friday night....what did I do??? Bake of course!! I was going to work in my Scrapbook Room but the kitchen kept calling my name and I knew just what to make!!


Red Velvet come to Mama!! Of course this is yet another Pinterest find!

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1 t. salt
  • 3 T. cocoa powder
  • 1 T. white vinegar
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk (OR 1 c. milk + 1 T. vinegar)
  • 1 oz. red food coloring

In a mixing bowl whisk together your eggs. Then toss in the oil, vinegar, vanilla extract, buttermilk, and food coloring!!


 Once you mix it all together it will turn this very vibrant shade of Red!! I love it!! Being this is my first time making Red Velvet Cake from scratch I was shocked when it called for an entire bottle of red food coloring!


Once you get your red mixture created go ahead and set it aside. Grab another bowl and add in all your dry ingredients. Mix those.


 Next pour your red wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and blend well!


Grease your bundt cake pan and pour in your cake mix. Pop that baby in your oven for 50 - 55 minutes at 325 degrees!


Hello beautiful!! Isn't it kind of funny how dark it is once it's cooked?? It would be absolutely amazing if it stayed that bright red!! 


The original recipe (can be found here) called for a cream cheese frosting but I really didn't want something so rich. Instead I topped my cake with vanilla ice cream...it was perfect!


This cake is so delicious and super easy! If you are a fan of red velvet cake and like me had never baked it from scratch have no fear this recipe is for you!! 

Add in the french vanilla ice cream and it's heaven in a bowl! If any one tries the original recipe with the cream cheese frosting let me know how it is...might be worth making and taking into work! :o)

Enjoy!

1 comments:

Staci said...

Looks scrumptious! I'm one of those weird people who use vanilla frosting instead of cream cheese!

 

A Bit Of This, A Dash Of That Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang