October 22, 2012

Cheesy Vegetable Chowder

Hold onto your hats folks because this recipe is about the blow your mind!! I stumbled upon this recipe via the lovely Pinterest and knew immediately I had to make it!!

I'm not even gonna keep babbling on here I'm going to get straight to the recipe, it is that good!!!


Ingredients:
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • Onion Powder
  • 1 Chopped Carrot
  • 2 Celery Sticks Chopped
  • Garlic Powder
  • 2 Cups Chicken Broth
  • 1 Large Potato
  • 1/2 Tablespoon Flour (more if needed)
  • 1/4 Cup Water
  • 1/3 Cup Milk
  • 1 Cup Cauliflower
  • 1 Heaping Cup Cheddar Cheese


And because I totally forgot this in the above picture...yes you really are supposed to have flour...



Next up prep work!! This time around I did not enlist the help of my in house chef (A.K.A Chuckles) but spent the extra 20 minutes chopping up my carrot, celery, cauliflower, and potato myself. I should put a disclaimer out there now, this recipe takes some time so start early. Or do all your prep work the night before!


Once everything is chopped and set aside get ready to be stuck in your kitchen. The next steps seemed to move along pretty quickly so I chose to wash dishes in between lulls. You won't really have enough time to do much else.

Start out by melting your butter in a large stock pot. The toss in your onion powder, carrots, and celery into the stock pot and saute until softened.


Then toss in your garlic powder and cook for an additional minute.


Throw in your chopped potato and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.


While you are waiting for that to come to a boil use this time to mix together your flour and water in a small separate bowl.


Add that mixture into your stock pot and stir well. Also toss in your cauliflower.

Let that simmer until the sauce thickens. I ended up adding in another 1/2 tablespoon bringing it to a full tablespoon of flour.


Once your sauce has thickened toss in that heaping cup of cheddar cheese.


Stir cheese until it is fully melted and you now have a thicker cheesy sauce.


Pour yourself a large bowlful, grab a sourdough roll and dig in!


This chowder was absolutely amazing!! It's full of veggies and has a creamy cheese sauce!! It's so delicious and it most definitely will be a regular in our house this winter!

Chuckles feels that it could use some meat, he's such a carnivore, so you could definitely add in some chicken or maybe even some Italian sausage (spicy or not). I think it's wonderful without meat!!

And a huge bonus - this recipe is awesome as leftovers! I had it two days in a row for lunch at work and it was just as good, kind of like how spaghetti is so amazing the next day...yup this chowder is in that rank too!!

I plan on making a big batch of this chowder and freezing servings of it for an easy grab for lunch. I cut the recipe in half and I did alter it slightly! Thanks to Lulu the Baker for sharing her family recipe with the wonderful world of Pinterest!

Enjoy!

P.S. For 1 Cup of this Chowder (made my way) it's 7 WW Points.

0 comments:

 

A Bit Of This, A Dash Of That Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang